Ilie Bolojan revisits the Doicești reactors controversy: “The project has issues that we cannot deny”

Interim Prime Minister Ilie Bolojan revisited on Friday the controversy surrounding the small modular reactors (SMR) project in Doicești and argued that the investment raises real issues that cannot be ignored. He insisted that the discussion in recent days has mixed three different themes: the strategic partnership with the USA, technology transfer, and the concrete project of the plant.

During a press conference, Bolojan stated that Romania needs technological collaboration and projects developed together with American partners, but that does not mean that any investment should be accepted without careful analysis.

“There are three plans that have been mixed in these days. One is the plan of the strategic partnership with the United States. The second is the plan of modern technology transfer to Romania, and the third plan is the respective project,” said the interim Prime Minister.

Bolojan: Time will tell if the criticisms were justified

The Head of Government reiterated that the Doicești project has vulnerabilities that the Romanian state cannot ignore and said that over time it will be seen if his warnings were correct.

“The Doicești project has some problems that we cannot deny. And time will confirm whether what I said is real or not,” stated Bolojan.

The Prime Minister also drew a parallel with the Iernut plant, started a decade ago and still unfinished, stating that Romania already has examples of delayed or poorly managed energy projects.

He explained that the Government approved a memorandum on Thursday for Romgaz to directly contract the completion of the Iernut plant, avoiding the loss of guarantees and the blocking of works.

“We will be left with land and some papers”

The dispute erupted following statements made by Bolojan earlier this month when he said that the SMR project in Doicești has already consumed over 240 million dollars without the guarantee of a viable investment.

The interim Prime Minister then stated that Romania risks “being left with land and some papers,” as the final costs of the project could be very high, and the produced energy could end up more expensive than what is already available on the market.

Bolojan suggested that the responsibility for this situation lies with the leadership of Nuclearelectrica, which should have ensured that the investments made have real chances of recovery.

He also mentioned that he even informed the US Embassy about his reservations regarding the project and the need for further analysis.

Bolojan’s criticisms were contested by former PSD Energy Minister Bogdan Ivan, who conveyed that the small modular reactors project is not a political one, but a strategic one for Romania. “A nuclear energy project is not a village road or a cultural center. It is one of the most sophisticated technologies of all times,” Ivan told the interim Prime Minister.

On its part, Nuclearelectrica defended, in a document sent to the Bucharest Stock Exchange, that the project has “enormous potential” for the Romanian nuclear industry, for supply chains, and for attracting investments.

The company specified that the project is being developed with Romanian and American specialists, using the technology of the American company NuScale Power, and that it is “in line with budget and stages planning.”

Nuclearelectrica also announced that it is considering attracting new investors, external loans, and grants to finance the project.

Debate on the real costs of SMR energy

The controversy surrounding the Doicești project has been amplified by warnings from energy experts regarding the final costs of electricity produced by small modular reactors.

Otilia Nuțu warned that the SMR project in Doicești risks generating huge costs for the state and consumers, as the technology has not yet been commercially tested.



Source link

Leave a comment

0.0/5